Thursday 4 February 2016

Gingerbread house

Hansel and Gretel has, as long as I can remember, been one of my favourite stories. It is the gingerbread cottage that is, as far as I know, the unique component in that fairy tale. A Judge I used to appear before reminded me of the inhabitant of the gingerbread cottage. "Good morning", this benign-looking old lady would coo to everyone as we walked in. The moment we had all sat down, it was as though the cage had descended on Hansel's head...

Once upon a time, my mother suggested making a house of sweets similar to that in Hansel and Gretel...or I begged her to do so. I must have been aged about five. We were staying at Granny's house and walked to the local newsagent's, Fayne's, where my mother bought the ingredients. A photograph of the work in progress appears below. The roof was made of milk chocolate. The windows were glacier mints. Initially, she put a stick of "Rainbow Rock" in the garden but then removed it (I suspect for aesthetic reasons) and allowed me eat it. I do not recall whether we ever got round to eating the rest of the house...

No comments:

Post a Comment