Saturday 2 February 2013

Flowers good enough to eat

The idea came to me at Victoria station. I found myself in need of a bouquet and had a little time on hand before my train. So, for the first time in my life, I walked around the perimeter of the flower stall surveying what was on offer. I think it was the sight of something relatively unusual in the context - some large blackberries - that inspired me. This would be an edible bouquet.

I took the stall holder into my confidence and she led me round pointing out the possibilities. On this occasion, besides the blackberries, there was lavender, there were sunflowers (seeds? oil?) and, weirdly striking, a fluorescent purple pineapple.

I suppose a horse would regard any bouquet as edible but this bunch of flowers could not, in truth, have been eaten. Culinarily themed is perhaps the more accurate description. Whatever, it went down well.

No comments:

Post a Comment